Project #4 - Negative and Positive Space - Mothers Sans Child and process from concept to finish.

 

Mother Sans Child







This concept came to me after thinking about the idea of Something Missing in Negative Space. My idea is to explore, just a little, the sense of longing for a child to come, of watching your children grow out of your embrace into adulthood or possibly of the frightening idea of losing a child. As the shape took form in my mind I also began to think of the Madonna and of the lack of the Christ child in the religion of Christianity. I hope that I give the viewer the opportunity to put their own life experiences into this piece and make of it what they will. 


Process Pictures



The negative space child shape comes from my memories of my own newborn children.


Working out the structure of the face was a challenge. In this shot it felt too serene so I added more texture to imply strong emotion or determination.


My own messy desk as the Mother takes shape. I noticed here that the shadow of negative space wasn't as effective as I hoped. I lined the inside of the Marquette with cut shapes of black paper to give the child shape more emphasis. 




Comments

  1. Beautiful and painfully sad. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your use of the positive and negative space. I think for a lot of women they can relate to this whether they have kids or not. Some women want to have kids and maybe never will be able to. Or like you said are waiting for the child to come. I know someone who just had a baby and the baby didn’t make it. It’s definitely a hard thing for women/moms to go through. Very nice piece.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts